Edinburgh City vs. Glasgow University
November 10, 2014

Edinburgh City hosted Glasgow University on Saturday for their second game in the Scottish Championship.

The Gentlemen opened the scoring midway through the first quarter after Ross “Chops” Waugh dodged past his defender, drew a slashing penalty, and passed to an open Greg Scott, who scored while the penalty flag was down. Edinburgh’s subsequent man-up play looked strong, and quick ball movement created open space for Ali Lee to find Greg in prime shooting position. Greg put in his second goal in less than a minute to increase Edinburgh’s lead. Glasgow created chances of their own, but Edinburgh’s James Philp (10 saves) turned away all four shots he faced in his first quarter as a goalie, and Edinburgh ended the first up 2-0.

Glasgow kept up the pressure into the second quarter, however, and Niall Hamilton converted a fast break opportunity early in the second to cut Edinburgh’s lead in half. That would prove to be the only goal of the quarter, as both defences limited opposing scoring opportunities, and the Gentlemen were unable to solve Glasgow’s goaltender Oliver “Oli” Raine (9 saves).

Glasgow tied the game up early in the third quarter on their first man-up opportunity of the game with a goal by Roy Williamson, and Edinburgh’s scoring drought continued, as Glasgow’s aggressive defence continuously prevented Edinburgh’s attackmen from passing to their dodging midfielders. Meanwhile, Glasgow’s own attackmen exerted great pressure on Edinburgh’s clear, causing several costly turnovers: Corrie Bruce and Tim Mottram both capitalised on Edinburgh’s mistakes to give Glasgow a 4-2 lead at the end of the third.

Edinburgh refused to accept defeat so easily, and came into the fourth quarter fired up. Martin Crawford scored on Edinburgh’s first possession with a great individual effort, bouncing a shot into the upper corner despite being doubled by Glasgow’s defence. Scrappy play by Ali and the rest of Edinburgh’s midfielders on the ensuing face off once again gave the Gentlemen possession, and Colin Gill scored against his old team off a quick feed from Chops to tie the game at 4-all less than three minutes into the fourth. A strategic time-out by Glasgow did little to slow the pace of the game; after play restarted Marty found Scott Swan all alone on the crease, and Scott scored his first goal of the season to give Edinburgh back the lead. Edinburgh’s comeback was not enough, however. Glasgow continued to harass Edinburgh’s clearing attempts, and Corrie intercepted an errant pass all alone  in the middle of Edinburgh’s defensive end, scoring an easy goal to once again tie the game. The stalemate continued until late in the quarter, when a communication breakdown during an Edinburgh penalty kill gave Glasgow an open shot on goal. Tim’s second of the game proved to be the game-winner, and the visitors came away from the match with a well-earned 6-5 victory over Edinburgh.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.